Beginners Jersey Dress or Sweatshirt – Learn to sew stretch fabrics on your sewing machine!
Our Beginners Jersey Dressmaking class is a great introduction to sewing with jersey and stretch fabrics on a sewing machine. Choose from a stylish semi-fitted dress or a cosy sweatshirt. You’ll learn the same techniques for both patterns so just pick which suits your style most!
The Sheona dress is a year-round staple that’s so easy to wear. Making a great Spring/Summer dress with short sleeves, or cosy Autumn/Winter dress with longer sleeves. The classic style features a neckband, choice of top or dress lengths, t-shirt length or long sleeves, and the option to lengthen the skirt.
Or choose a comfy sweatshirt with long sleeves, cuffs and round neckband. The perfect addition to your Autumn/Winter wardrobe. Sew it up in a soft medium-weight Ponte Roma or a sweatshirting fabric.
“Loved the class on sewing jersey fabric. Great tips and came away with a beautiful dress too!”
Our sewing classes are relaxed and friendly, taking place at our beautiful studio at Holme Grange Craft Village in Wokingham, Berkshire. You’ll get to use our brand new digital Janome sewing machines and class sizes are capped at six to ensure everyone gets the time and attention they need.
You will learn
- Measuring yourself and choosing the correct pattern size
- Understanding a sewing pattern
- Cutting out your pattern & fabric accurately
- Using a walking foot
- Sewing and finishing jersey seams on a sewing machine
- Sewing a neckband
- Using a double needle to finish your hem, neckline and sleeves
The class includes expert instruction, use of our Janome machines, tools, threads etc, a copy of your chosen pattern so you can make again at home plus tea, coffee and cake!
YOU NEED TO BRING
- 2.5m of 150cm wide, or 3m of 115cm wide cotton jersey, or ponte fabric for the dress or 2m of 150cm wide cotton jersey (for a lightweight spring sweatshirt) ponte Roma or sweatshirting fabric for the sweatshirt option. (If you aren’t sure, please contact us)
- Matching thread – we provide a wide choice of coloured threads to use during the class but if there is a specific colour match or top-stitching colour you would like, we recommend bringing your own or you can buy a reel to take home when you arrive.
You need to know how to use a sewing machine but don’t need to have done any dressmaking. You can complete our Introduction to Sewing for complete beginners class or be of an equivalent experience level.
The dress & sweatshirt patterns are a UK 6 – 20. If you fall outside of these measurements please contact us prior to booking as we may be able to grade the pattern for you.
Our classes are non-refundable so please make sure you’ve checked your diary carefully and read our Class FAQs before booking. These also cover lots of other questions so please do read them!
Please note you’ll receive a confirmation email upon booking and you’ll also receive a reminder email the week before your class. If you don’t receive these, please check your junk/spam folder.